ALL ABOUT THE ARRAN 16
The Arran 16 has been a familiar sight in harbours and marinas all around the UK for over the past 30years. Inshore fishermen who haul crab and lobster pots for a living, find the stability of the boat hard to beat. The open deck space and economical daily running costs of the Arran 16 make it the ideal small workboat.
Its strength and stability have also made the Arran a firm favorite with hire boat operators. Thousands of visitors to the Lake District and South Coast have hired them to take to the water.
At 16ft in length it’s a safe but very manageable size of boat and can be easily towed behind most family cars. It has an excellent safety record and with a CE Cat “C” rating for 4 persons there is room for the family.
The boats have spread far and wide with time and can also be found in Ireland, Denmark, Holland, Germany, France and Malta. I have even received pictures of an Arran that somehow made its way to Africa.
WHY BUY AN ARRAN 16
LAYOUTS OF THE ARRAN 16
- Displacement hull means that the Arran 16 is very safe, stable and economical to run
- It has a full length deep centre keel and two deep bilge keels, all protected by 316 stainless steel keel bands
- The Removable cuddy is attached to the boat by 5 strong snap latches, again stainless steel. Release these and remove the cuddy, and you have a large open fishing boat... feels like 2 boats for the price of 1!
- The unusually large and deep centre and bilge keels on the Arran 16 makes it the ideal trolling boat
- The Arran 16 only ever takes a long-shaft engine up to a maximum of 15hp. Cheaper to buy initially, cheaper to service and maintain, and great fuel economy